For starters, last night I was thinking about how well Squirmy used to sleep, then when he slept okay but not super, then when it all went to...well...hell. Here's a little time line for you.
- 0-2 months sleeping all night long, waking several times a night but going back, to sleep after being fed and changed, napping okay, always swaddled and held while napping
- 2-4 months, sleeping through the night in his bassinet next to our bed, waking at like 6/7 and sleeping until 10 or so, still swaddled at night (can't remember for naps), basically always being held for naps.
- 4-5 months, still swaddled at night, waking a couple times a night, a lot more co-sleeping, started watching another child during the day, still being held for a lot of naps, but not all
- 5-6 months, swaddling is hit or miss at night (every time I think he's fine without it, I try it again and he sleeps better), started watching a toddler (so 2 kids plus Squirmy during the day), not swaddling during the day, nights and naps progressively getting worse, sleeping in his vibrating chair for naps, spending a good portion of the night in bed with me, moved his crib into our room, took the front off and pushed it up against our bed
- 7 months...SLEEPING SUCKS!!! We've gone back to fully swaddling every night, most of the night in our bed. Naps are a terrible fight, TERRIBLE, and he's consistently sleeping 30 min for naps.
Here's the kicker, though. A couple of days ago, I started holding Squirmy for his naps again, mainly by accident. He went from screaming and 30 min to no screaming and 2 hours of sleep. We went from 5-6 naps a day to 2-3. AND he started sleeping significantly better at night (longer and more time in his crib/cosleeper).
So now what? I can't realistically hold him for every nap. Some have suggested that the vibrating chair has become uncomfortable for him. Some have suggested getting a mattress for the Pack and Play so he'd actually sleep in it for once. I've wondered about getting an Ergo so I could "hold" him and still be mobile and have my hands free (jury's out on if he'd sleep in it). Some have suggested swaddling for naps again. Some have suggested me sleeping with his nap time toys/blankets to get my scent on them. Some have insisted I "break" him of me holding him for naps (which I don't think it's a habit since I haven't done it for months). Some have suggested wean him from nursing to sleep (which he does often but not always). Some have suggested I always nurse him to sleep. Some say swaddle as long as he needs it. Some say swaddling has become a crutch and I need to wean him out of it.
I feel like I'm being torn in so many directions and I don't know what to do. I don't want to do the wrong thing, but I don't know the right thing to do. I've been trying to follow my instincts as much as possible with everything we've done with him. Now I feel like mother nature is out to lunch and left no instructions.
Anyone have any advice? Any suggestions? Any connections that you see that I haven't noticed? Help!