Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cloth Diapers FTW!

Ever since Squirmy was born, his little butt would get red.  Mostly betwixt his cheeks.  Our pediatrician said it was normal for breastfed babies because their poo is so wet and much more frequent than formula fed babies.  Between the added wetness and added wiping, he said to expect it.  We kept a healthy supply of Butt Paste and Desitin on it to keep the redness down.  When I switched to cloth diapers I was a bit concerned that we couldn't use diaper creams on Squirmy (ruins the diaper's ability to absorb).  I kept meaning to research natural brands that could be used with cloth diapers.  But the thought kept slipping further and further from my mind.

We've been using disposables at night partially because we have them and partially because I didn't want to fumble with unfamiliar diapers in the middle of the night.  Today he was in disposables a little longer than normal because I screwed up the timing of how many diapers I had left vs the time it takes to wash them (once I start working some I really want to increase my stash).  I went to change his disposable diaper and his poor little butt was all red, just like it used to be.  I realized part of the reason I'd failed to look for diaper cream I could use was because he hadn't needed any.  I felt so bad for his little red tushy.

Our cloth diapers were finally clean and dry so I put him in his dDiapers to take another spin.  When I changed him, his butt was already less red.  He leaked something terrible with the gDiaper (need to investigate why a little more) so I put our trusty BG back on him.  By the next diaper change his butt was barely pink.

I knew cloth were supposed to be healthier and cause less diaper rash, but I didn't really realize how much of a difference they were making.  I think it's time to move to cloth diapers full time!

No comments: